Friday, September 29, 2006

Edgy Beta 1 thaughts

Yesterday, right when Ubuntu 6.10 edgy eft beta 1 was release (at aproximatly 5 PM) and i downloaded it with high hopes that bug 53910 was fixed because this bug made edgy not boot into the live cd (from knot 3 back). I was happy to see that the bug was fixed and that edgy boot quite quickly into the live cd. The live cd was also very snappy. I first installed it to my portable hd...when i rebooted it worked fine and booted from grub right to edgy beta 1...i was apsolutly amazed because my laptop does not support booting from usb devices...then i decided i would install it on a partition on my laptop. So i dual booted Ubuntu 6.06 dapper and edgy beta 1...edgy looks very pretty but i did not try to install fglrx, xgl and beryl...i will when i have more time to fiddle around with it...one of the first things i did after i installed edgy on my laptop was try to get wireless working...as i have mentioned before i have a problematic wireless card (the broadcom 4318). I have to use ndiswrapper because bcm43xx-fwcutter does not work with my specific card. ndiswrapper is broken in edgy so i was having trouble getting my wireless card working...it is definitly poassable to get working but is problematic. Edgy is not going to be as stable as Dapper but it will be a nice OS over all...it needs some time and some much needed bug fixes....i really want to see DRI out of the box for all GPU's and xgl and beryl right out of the box...maybe edgy+1 or edgy+2. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thaughts, more like thoughts.

Anyways, I love edgy more and more everyday. You should try using the default ati driver, it recently got DRI support. I have it working with my X800 XT quite well. And it makes me feel good when I find an open source alternative to a proprietary software.

Collin said...

The problem with the open-source ATI drivers is that they have a 25% decrease in performance in comparision to fglrx. fglrx is also very slow and has a 25-50% decrease in speed compared to the windows drivers. ATI has the worst linux support ever!!